Father August Hülsmann was born on February 26, 1948 and was 73 years old. He took his first vows on October 11, 1968 and was ordained priest on May 24, 1975.
He was currently living in Handrup (Germany). He belonged to the Province GER.
Venite ad me, omnes qui laboratis, et onerati estis: et ego reficiam vos. (Mt 11,28)
We, the German Province of the Priests of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, are deeply sadden by the sudden death of our dear brother (or confrere), Father August Hülsmann. On the afternoon of September 13, he suddenly suffered a heart attack. Appreciated by many, he was a faithful Priest and religious, an avid pastor, and a much sought-after companion and spiritual director.
Some data from his life:
- He was born on February 26, 1948 in Weese (northern Germany).
- From a Catholic family with 4 siblings, his mother died very early (1964)
- Did his Gymnasium in our college in Handrup.
- Novitiate in Maria Martental (1967 – 1968)
- First Profession: 11.10.1968
- Studied Theology in Freiburg (1968 – 1974)
- Priestly Ordination: May 24, 1975
- Professor and Prefect of studies in Stegen (1975 – 1978)
- Pastoral and vocation coordinator in Neustadt (1978 – 1984)
- Rector at Handrup (1984 – 1993)
- Rector at Stegen (1993 – 1998)
- Provincial of the German Province (1998 – 2007)
- President of the German Conference of Religious
- President of the Religious of Europe
- Spiritual Director in the Diocese of Speyer
- Spiritual Director in the Diocese of Osnabrück and North Germany
- Rector in Handrup (2018 to date)
- Member of the Provincial Council (since 2019)
His unexpected death is a great loss for the German Province. He was a rich presence in the life of the Province and also in the Church, with all his pastoral and spiritual qualities.